Milford Historical Society  34 High Street, Milford, CT 06460





March 20, 2019 

Milford-born Frank Sprague (1857-1934), whose ideas changed the world, will be the topic of a program at the Milford Library on Wed., March 20 at 7 p.m.

Sprague contributed to the invention of electric motors, electric railways and electric elevators. His work jump-started the development of modern urban centers with cross-town transportation systems and skyscrapers that were made feasible because of electric elevators.

He moved to North Adams, Massachusetts in 1866, but Milford celebrates him as a man whose contributions in the last two decades of the 19th century paved the way for 20th century innovations.  Sprague became known as “The Father of Electric Traction.”

The speaker will be Tom Laurenson, of the Shore Line Trolley Museum in East Haven. He is the trolley conductor there and has studied the life of the inventor. The name Sprague is well-known at to trolley enthusiasts, because his widow, Harriet Sprague, donated funds for the construction of the Sprague Building at the museum.


March 27, 2019 

The Milford Historical Society will partner with the Milford Library to present a program on the wives of presidents on Wed, March 27 at 6:30 p.m. in the library’s Program Room.

The speaker will be Mariann Millard who will talk about “First Ladies: An Adventure in Glamour, Guts & Gumption.”

Ms. Millard worked as a Certified Washington, D.C. Tour Guide and became fascinated with the lives of the women who lived in the White House.

The presentation weaves historical and modern events to tell about the important roles these women played.March is Women’s History Month. The public is invited to this free program.


          May 20, 2019

                Milford Historical Society
                        Annual Dinner

Costa Azzurra: 72 Broadway, Milford, Connecticut

       Monday, May 20, 2019     Six P.M.

           Family Style:    Salad, pasta, chicken, eggplant, sole, veggie, coffee, tea, soda  

           Cost: $31 Includes tax and gratuity

Please indicate names of attendees and make checks payable to and send to:

          The Milford Historical Society
           P.O. Box  337
           Milford, Connecticut 06460
                    Attention Helen

RSVP  by May 13, 2019