The Milford Historical Society
T he Milford Historical Society is a non-profit organization open to all people interested in the unique history of Milford. Our mission is to collect and preserve Milford antiquities, to encourage historical investigation, and to disseminate historical information.
It is our aim that this web site may assist the research, nurture the interest, and provoke the actions of any and all people who have an enthusiasm about the preservation and investigation of the history of Milford.
us with any questions.
Solicitors, please consider making a donation instead.
34 High Street, Milford, Connecticut
Research and Other Visits by Appointment only between Columbus Day to Memorial Day
Herbcrafters Meeting on April 28
The Herbcrafters of the Milford Historical Society will meet on Monday, Apr. 28 at 7 p.m. at the Society’s complex, 34 High St.
Anyone interested attending and learning about herbs is asked to call Ardienne Damicis (203) 877-1851. The June 2 meeting at the same time and location will include a plant exchange.Read more...
Milford made first computer ad
March 2014 marked the 40th anniversary of the first advertisement for a personal computer, the SCELBI, which was made in Milford, Connecticut. Nat Wadsworth and Bob Findley sold only a few hundred units from the rear of a Boston Post Road storefront beating other early computer hobbyist competitors by only a few months.Read more...
Irish Civil War Regiment
"Forward the 9th" was the message of a Civil War recruiting poster used to enlist Connecticut’s Irish immigrants.
The contributions of those volunteers to the Union effort will be remembered by Cheshire Historian Robert Larkin at the March 17 gathering of the Milford Historical Society. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. at the Mary Taylor Memorial United Methodist Church on the Green, 168 Broad St. This will be the annual joint meeting with the Orange Historical Society. The public is invited.Read more...
Washington was here
George Washington visited Milford in November 1759 and complained about the service at a local tavern by asking for a silver spoon.Read more...
twig and turf
A turf & twig ceremony with Aurelius H. Piper, Jr. (Chief Quiet Hawk), a descendant of the Indian sachem Ansantawae, was held on February 12th, the anniversary of the founding of Milford at city hall utilizing a small branch from Richard Platt’s pussywillow plant. He was honored for his many years as town historian with the day declared Richard Platt day. The room was then filled with the sweet sounds of 2 groups of school children singing about Milford. The public entertainment portion of the meeting can be seen on Milford’s public access cable channel.Read more...
In commemoration of the 375th Anniversary of the founding of Milford, the Society sponsored an exhibit on how Milford celebrated past anniversaries. The displays on view at the Milford Public Library, 57 New Haven Avenue, in February coincide with the actual date the land was purchased from the Wepawaug Native Americans on February 12, 1639. This exhibit moves to the society's houses when they open for the season on May 31.